Besides all the patches and addons, there are other useful programs and tools, that might enhance and/or improve your experience with There. This page list some of the programs and tools I use myself and wish to recommend. If you know of any other that you would like to recommend, then please send me a mail and I might add it to the list.
(I only list stuff that I have first hand knowledge of and experience with and that I can "vouch" for.)
- Gadwin PrintScreen - Easy and versatile Screen Capture. Grab entire window with nametags, toolbars etc. and convert the image on the fly. (Freeware)
- SpeedFan - Control and monitor the fan speed, temperature and voltage of your motherboard. Running There puts a lot of stress on your CPU wich gets hotter and even might lock or freeze your system. (Freeware)
- Altiris Software Virtual Solution (SVS) - Virtualize your software - I use this to install and run the beta's without worries that it messes with my normal There client installation. And after the beta test I can do a clean uninstall of every single file and changes to the file system, that the beta might have caused. (Free for personal use).
Note: The link sends you to PCMAGazine.com as it sems that Symantec has given very low priority to the free personal version and somehow removed it from their site. You need a PCMag account do download - If you do not already have an account you can register for free.
Note 2: Although I use and love this tool totally I feel I have to state that this tool is NOT recommended for novice computer users! I can and will NOT be held liable for any loss of data or other problems that might occur because of use of this tool! Use entirely on your own risk!
- Quick Sound Switch - If you like me are using a usb headset when in There and normal speakers when outside, you might know of the hassle switching between the audio devices using the "MS approach". This little nifty tool makes it an ease to quickly switch between audio devices by just two clicks. (Freeware)
- Password checker - check the strenght of your password with this Microsoft tool.
- Avira Antivir - the best antivirus program in my opinion. Have been using it for years and love it. It's one of the fastest and puts least possible stress on your computer. Almost always comes out at the top of tests - like the one from AV-Comparatives. Comes in both paid and free version of course. The free version does have a daily nagscreen though, but it's worth it in my opinion. And the paid version isn't that expensive btw.
- TotalCommander - the best windows file manager - ever! Modeled after the legendary Norton Commander but surpasses it on every aspect. It's the very first thing I install on a new computer and the first thing I run every time I turn on my computer. Here's a wikipedia article on it. (shareware)
- ThereIM - now this one is actually a There Instant Messenger made by There. Be online with your buddies even if you are not online in the 3D world.
Although the 3D part of There.com is already closed down they will try to keep the IM service running as long as possible.
Disclaimer: By using any of this software you take full responsibility of any issues that arise from using it. Install and use entirely at your own risk!